Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Warning Lights on 2002 Cavalier 2.2 auto trans  (Read 1009 times)

Offline DrFaroohk

Warning Lights on 2002 Cavalier 2.2 auto trans
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »
Hi all, I'm new here and a complete idiot when it comes to cars so please bear with me!  :)

So a bunch of the warning lights in my car all came on at one.   One says "Service" with a picture of a wrench, "Trac Off", "ABS", and Check Engine.    A little playing around has revealed that my ABS seems to be not working at all.   

Also, possibly related or not, I've noticed the car seems "underpowered" electrically.    My lights or fan will dim randomly, not just when it's been idling for a long time but even if I'm just cruising down the highway.   The last car I had that happen to it turned out to be the alternator, which I suppose if there's massive electrical problems it could be screwing with sensors and whatnot. . . . or not. . . lol. .

Anyway, ppreciate any help I get on this.   I plan on taking it to a shop anyway but don't want to get ripped off.

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: Warning Lights on 2002 Cavalier 2.2 auto trans
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »
Doc, if your charging system and/or battery are malfunctioning, it could make all those lights come on.  The vehicle will disable those systems to conserve electrical energy to help you get it to safety.  Get it serviced asap so it doesn't leave anyone stranded in a potentially dangerous situation.
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline NickD

• wrench
Re: Warning Lights on 2002 Cavalier 2.2 auto trans
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »
One simple poor ground problem can cause all that grief, with some loads on, place a voltmeter directly on the negative battery terminal and to the block and to a frame ground for next to zero volts.  A very common problem is corroded battery terminals, how old is your battery?  You wanted something simple, can be this simple, next to more complicated would be the ignition switch, but your head lamps are independent of that so suspect you either have a bad ground or dirty battery terminals.  Warning lamps will go crazy with a poor electrical connection.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.