Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2000 Blazer (S10) Wont Start!  (Read 9993 times)

Offline MADMAN

2000 Blazer (S10) Wont Start!
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
I have a question! please help! I own a 2000 Chevy Blazer, 121K on it, no recent work done because car has been running great! Drove home and running fine, parked it, went in and came out the next morning, and it wont start! It turns over just fine! battery good, cranks good, but i dont here the humm of the fuel pump when key is turned on! check what i can make out to be fuel pump relay in fuse pannel under hood, and check it by changing it out with a different one, thats good (horn relay), still nothing.  Fuse for ecm-b, and ign-c (owners manual says also for fuel pump) checks out good, (ignition on, non starting, hot with test light across both sides).  only thing changed that night was installed new battery in the keyless entry transmitter, and yes i resynchronized it acroding to the owners manual.  Still crancking (turning over but no-start, and no fuel pump humm.  question is could this have gone into "PASSLOCK" and how do i get arround it? Security light goes out after 3 to 5 seconds of ignition on, run side only! could it be "PASSLOCK" or is it in wiring for fuel pump or pump? I can't figure out why it ran all the way home and right there in the driveway it craps out when it was shut off, and will not restart.  Thanks to all who can help, i'm living on a wife only salary cause of a battle now with the "BIG-C" and just can't afford a shop bill right now.  just woundering if i overlooked somthing simple?  or i'm i gona have to drop the tank! thanks

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2000 Blazer (S10) Wont Start!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
OK lets keep it easy simple first...

As for the fuel pump when key moved to start/run the pump wll only be energized for @5seconds if vehcle does not start-   Best test here is a fuel pressure gauge ESPECALLY as this eng 4.3 is so critical on cold start fuel pressure needing @60psi min for a cold start....

Fuel gauges are available as a loaner or rental at some parts houses ie auto zone - advance

A easy but incomplete test- spray some brake or carb clean* into throttle body as helper cranks engne .... Vehicle trying to start on spray wll confirm a fuel problem....

descrptiion s typical pump failure wiithout warning.... be sure there is fuel in tank - not very professiional but sometmes a good wack with fist on tank wll get pump going again indicating a problem wth pump

*NEVER use starting fluid

PS  do you not have remote starter.....?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:20:10 AM by kev2 »

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »
THANKS, I'LL TRY THE HIT THE TANK, a friend is on his way over with a small, cheap, but it works scan tool to see if theres a code or not. car is sitting in 6" of snow and ice right now and a little hard to get under but i'll try it. did already try remove of air box cover at aircleaner filter, did try a little shot of starting fluid, and nothing! but up till this you could always here the fuel pump humming, we owned this for about 2 years now, guy we bought it from said fuel pump was replaced about a month before we bought it. like i said it just all of a sudned, wouldn't start! Is there some relay that controls, fuel and spark that could just puke! I just put a spark checker in line with a plug wire but have to wait for help so one can spin over the engine, and one can watch for spark, so that ansewers you question on having a remote start. thanks

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
NO CODES! Nothing when i hit, pound, kick, scream, cuss, and throw things at tank. No humming, no sputer with brake clean, carb cleaner, or starting fluid. I put a small engine in line spark checker on her and there is spark! Doesn't look the hotest, but there is spark! Any idea what the relay on the firewall just to the left (right side of vehicle) of center is for? freind thinks this is another fuel relay? i thought relay was with fuse inside engine compartment fues block? maybe i'm wrong? oh well back at after dinner. thanks

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »
  the need to get fuel pressure is a starting point

the issue with spark- be sure to ck at several plugs -

still guessing this is a 4.3L eng -  if applicable check the dist cap/rotor and  coil for spark

- I will try to ID the relay in question-  but if standard relay ie horn type swapping  it out  will quickly tell...

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »
as expected, "NO READING ON FUEL PRESSURE" nothing while cranking engine over! thats probaly why i don't here the pump humm. but is it still a possible "PASSLOCK" problem because of changing the battery in the keyless remote??? and if so what can i do to correct it. i did the resync to the owners manual but still no start. When key is first put in igntion, and you turn it to run, the first few seconds its in the run position, engine not started (yet) it always had this humm or small winnig sound you could hear. Now nothing! At the wire connector under vehicle or at fuse panel, can i jump somthing to by-pass the relay to get pump to turn or not to condemm the pump or not, or to by-pass the passlock system? thanks

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »
Fuel pump fuse?
Check orange wire to relay for power.
Find the gray fuel pump power wire and check for 12 volts on it key on.
If no voltage check relay power.
If voltage head back to fuel pump and check power and ground to it.
Pass lock will not shut down ign or fuel pump only injector pulse.
Crunch
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
thanks, Crunch and you to Kev, I have to get a shovelin and clear me a area to get under it. Ill find the conector and see if i have any power to there going to the pump, if so i guess i should condem pump. But if no power at conector, i guess i could jump the pump from there and see if it runs, if it does, then work forward till i find the problem. Whats the chance on that oil presure swicth, i read about, would this blazer have one? any idea where that would be mounted? so much junk on this motor, now that i'm messing with it, i can't see how to even get a spark plug out! thanks, and i'll keep worken on it, As long as we keep getin ideas on what to check. thanks, guys, Madman

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
Crunch, You said about fuse, i check that first , hot on both sides and replaced it too, just in case. relay??? relay appears to be mounted in a push in fuse holder in the whole big fuse box under the hood!, can't see any wires for color tracing. can't even guess in the loom were it all goes! thats why i was woundering abbout the relay on firewall, however, after taking it apart, and try to jump across the orange wire to another terminal, seen a spark, and hot side is now dead! ooops, my bad! anyway, i found out this relay is for heater blower motor! now it only has med-low (#2) and medium-high (#3) on the blower speeds. no low, or high. I'll work on that later, heater blower doesn't need to work if car don't run!!!!!! still can fiquer why it ran fine, parked it, and won't start again? and all i did was change battery in keyless remote, seems wied to me? thanks, again

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »
Get a pin out wiring diagramm of relay and jump battery to fuel pump wire  or flip holder box over and view wires from under side.
Crunch
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:35:15 PM »
thanks Crunch, i thought about unbolting it and see if everything was good under it but was hoping somone read this and had a simple, yea, disconect battery and reprogam the keyless entry and start car 3 times and say there's no place like home! Magical Fix! Hey there is a diagram on these relays, but i'm not an electrician, can you or anyone explain how they work? these have a line on the bottom with a squgly line above it, a little box and then on top of all that it has like a switch picture? with no# 30, 85, 86, 87, 88 or somthiing like that, there probaly all the same, thanks

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
Upper right of this web page.
Can sort that all out.
Or find the gray power feed wire to fuel pump and jump it with a fused jumper.
Also there is a single wire plastic plug on in for afuel pump prime connector that is tyed into the gray fuelmpump power feed.
Crunch

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
thanks crunch, but i don't subscribe to alldata and it wouldn't let me get that page! thanks anyway. been working at this to hard, along with a older astro that was a 2nd vehicle with a bad gas leak, i decided for now to go after the gas leak so we have at least 1 vehicle running. already canceled a doctors appoitment, and got to get somthing running here. If weather holds out here in the windy city, maybe if bones start felling better, i can get back at it soon. thanks for you help, i just thought it might be something simple, and i hate to try and drop this tank.

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »
thanks crunch, but i don't subscribe to alldata and it wouldn't let me get that page! thanks anyway. been working at this to hard, along with a older astro that was a 2nd vehicle with a bad gas leak, i decided for now to go after the gas leak so we have at least 1 vehicle running. already canceled a doctors appoitment, and got to get somthing running here. If weather holds out here in the windy city, maybe if bones start felling better, i can get back at it soon. thanks for you help, i just thought it might be something simple, and i hate to try and drop this tank.

You are welcome.
One the all data online sub if links do not work ask Tony for help.
Did you try link posted or click oon it upper right top corner of this page?
Crunch

Offline MADMAN

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
yes, on a trip to get a part for other car (2 to 5 day wait for part), a man at auto parts store (another at home diy'er) told me to check the computer fuel pump relay control, he didn't know were its at but heard these go bad and happened to a guy he works with. My so-called repair manual doesn't show this, do you know were it is and how to check this. found gas leak in other car, had to drop tank and top of sending unit is rusted trough at metal tube on pressure side to T.B.I. after this kicking my a## yesterday, i have to sit back a couple days because of my health. to weak to maybe work on it today, but will try later. boy 2 cars in the household and both down now. Geeze does it get any better then this? thanks for you help and any more you can give me.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.