Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: TRANSMISSION PROBLEM with Chevrolet Silverado 1995  (Read 16427 times)

Offline patooo

TRANSMISSION PROBLEM with Chevrolet Silverado 1995
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
Hi guys!
I've got a pickup C Chevrolet Silverado 1995, and I've got a problem with my transmission.  Transmission type: 4L60-E
The problem with my transmission is, that if I shift to ďDĒ it DOES NOT shift up to first gear and then to second.  If you've got ďDĒ up, all it does is that it shifts up to third gear, and it stays there so you can't shift it to a different gear.
And you can't even shift up from third gear to fourth or fifth.  And if I shift to first or second gear, it just jumps to the second gear and stays there so you can't do anything.  It only shifts on second or third gear.  There is nothing wrong with the engine, but there's definitely something with the transmission.
I had this problem before, that my transmission has been stuck, but after a few days it was back in normal, but now it looks like it's stuck forever.
On the display, it DOES NOT show that there's something wrong with the car.  The Chevy has got 70 000 miles.

I want to ask you for an advice what to do with it, or just give me a tip what's wrong with my Chevy.
I appreciate all of your advices, and I hope that someone will help me to find the right answer.

THANKS for HELP  :)

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
Re: TRANSMISSION PROBLEM with Chevrolet Silverado 1995
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
Hmm, This is a concern that you are having this kind of problem, imagine a 4 speed automatic transmission that will not go into 5th. You description is very unclear as to what exactly the trans is doing wrong. When you have it in D1, it will start in D1 and stay there. When you have it in D2 then it will start in D1 and shift to D2, then stay there.
When you have it in D or 3 (depending on vehicle model) it will start in D1 then shift to D2, then shift to D3 then stay there.
D4 or OD (depending on model) is the most used range and will shift normally from D1 through the ranges until it gets to OD and stay there depending on accelerator, load downshift if needed as the computer thinks is necessary.
I have no difficulty pointing the right direction for diagnostics but I need all the help you can give. Information is very much needed, even if you think it is unnecessary. Maint. History, repair history, mileage, add-ons (shift kit, air filter, radio, alarm, etc) can be very important. What have you done so far to find the problem or added to the trans to correct the problem? Post back and we can help more, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission © 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline 2POINTautO

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:56 AM »
It sounds like it is in limp mode and goes straight to third gear, if you shift down manually, it will only go into second gear, so second and third are the only gears available, if you select low gear manually.  There is no CEL or flashing OD light to warn of a DTC.  I live overseas so that is my translation for you my friend.

Does this model have a seperate TCM and can it be disconnected by the owner to see if it is an electrical issue within the TCM?  I also have heard folks call trannies a five speed since they noticed the 50 RPM drop when LockUp occured after an OD drop of 1500 RPM.

Offline patooo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:05 AM »
O. K I live in England ;) and unfortunately itís not my car but my friendís car.  Heís not good at English so Iím writing for him.  I'm sorry for that 5th gear ;o] but I didnít know that they havenít got a 5th gear.  I was just trying to explain Chevy's problem.
I'm really sorry but I'm not into cars that much. .  so please can you explain me what does DTC stand for ? and TCM as well ? But as you said 2pointauto the problem is that when you start the car and shift D on, it jumps to the third gear so Transman it doesnít go from 1st to 2nd etc.  That's the problem that the transmission just jump into the 3rd and stays there and you can't shift up or down.  Then there is a case when my friend tried to shift 1st gear somehow and it just jumped into the second gear and stayed there so he couldn't shift to a different gear.  I know it's complicated but is it clear enough to understand?

Thanks for your help now.  Every night at about 8pm CET I chat with my friend so I'll ask him all these questions, and get as much details as I can.  I'll give you an answer as soon as possible.
bb

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
This information is much more helpful although I do understand why you called it a 5 speed, it is difficult to diagnose a trans or any other problem if you can't get on the same page. Yes, this trans is in "limp". The first thing to check is ALL the fuses, not just the ones you think are in the circuit. Also, look for missing fuses. I had a customer remove a fuse to get the correct size, he forgot where it went, and to tell us he removed one since it was a lighter fuse that had no bearing on his problem. When we found the short AND replaced that fuse his systems started working again but it caused us extra time since we didn't know that fuse was missing from the board.
Next check any connectors that you can find as well as ground wires for corrosion. Don't forget to examine tha battery also. These vehicles also have a common problem with the "Range Mode" switch (neutral switch).
There is also a bulletin on '95 with a computer board breaking a ground inside, there is a repair kit (harness) so you don't have to replace the computer itself. With more info, we can go further. Post back, Transman
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.

Offline patooo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:08:44 PM »
Thanks for you patience.  Iíve got some new information.  My friend said that when it happened the second time he completely disassembled the transmission.  It was in excellent condition, the oil was clean, no sediment everything was O. K, so he put a new set of OVERHAUL KIT.  There was no problem with the transmission and shifting went well.  Approximately after 100 miles it happened again, so he thinks that the problem is not in the transmission.  When he shifts OD (or 3) gearbox shifts to 3rd gear it wonít shift anymore.  If he shifts 2nd or 1st it shifts to 2nd gear and stays there like it has been stuck.  P, N, and R are OK.

Iíll try to get some more information. THX for your reply.   :) Patrick

Offline 2POINTautO

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Transman, can something be disconnected, an electrical connector or whatever to disable the tranny electronics, then see if she will go into 1st gear manually, does it work that way?

Offline Chris Miller

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
Did your friend replace the 1-2 shift solenoid? Those don't usually come in rebuild kits.
If this solenoid freezes up/breaks, you either:
1) Won't get first gear.
2) Won't get second gear.
I've run into this problem a few times with the 4L60-E.

Offline patooo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
I'll get the answer when I'll chat with him probably on monday :)

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23:24 AM »
As just said, these trans are notorious for shift solenoid failure.  Can be verified by checking with round connector on right side of trans disconnected, verify if corrosion first, oh and please check fuses first.  Using scanner, activate 1-2nd shift solenoid, using screwdriver or other means, listen for audible click from trans oil pan.  If you do not have a scanner apply 12v to solonoid, will have to check wiring schematics for wire color and ground, Do this with round connector dissconected at tranny.  Come back to us on this.
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline 2POINTautO

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »
I am guessing that the connector needs to be connected to us a scanner for bidirectional control.  Does an audible click mean that there are not further issues with the 1-2 fluid circuit.  Does this solenoid open up a pathway in the valve body for fluid to flow or does it open up the shift solenoid itself for fluid to flow directly through a port in the solenoid, if the latter is true, if the solenoid makes an audible click, does that mean that the solenoid port is not clogged.

If the solenoid does make an audible click, what does this point to as the problem, and where is the potential problem located on this model.  If there is no audible click, what needs to be changed as a first step inside of the transmission and can a layman handle this job and are you aware of an updated part for this application.

Could you please post what solenoids need to be powered, and in what order, to shift from 1st thru OD while testing the round connector on a test drive, of course an assistant will be needed to perform this task.  As you mentioned, a good wire diagram will be needed.  On this model, does the solenoid itself not supply its own ground, I am referring to a Honda as an example, each shift solenoid only has one wire to test by applying power to activate each electrical circuit, the body mount of the solenoid is the ground.

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 07:35:22 PM »
Selecting 1-2nd sol shift on genesis or snap-on scanner will ensure that wiring to solenoid and internal tcm pwr and grnd circuit and 1-2nd sift solenoid are in working order if audible click is heard.  If noclick is heard, ensure that pwr and grnd are provided by tcm when activated by scanner with test light at connector (round on right side tranny).  If ok, remove trans oil pan and remove solenoid (1-2nd is located at front left).  Verify continuity between harness from solenoid and round connector on right side trans, if ok replace solenoid.  This solenoid opens a fluid port on body valve to permit shift of respective gear. 
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
Patooo, no & yes. If you disconnect the electrical connection to the trans, you will get "limp" (in this case third). Which is the No power default. Regardless of this connection, you WILL have reverse and some form of foward unless the trans is broken inside. When you look at what gear each solenoid gives and what you don't have, you can make determinations on whether a solenoid is defective or not. This is not always cut and dried as you need to know if the computer is telling the solenoid to turn on or not or if the solenoid is simply not functioning ( I believe this is what the other guys were trying to get across to you earlier).
GEAR:     SOL A        SOL B
------------------------------
D)1           ON            ON
D)2           OFF           ON
D)3           OFF          OFF
D)4           ON           OFF
Hope this helps, Transman

Offline 2POINTautO

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
All this info is great guys, thanks for the chart transman, but I think as a non / semi technical driver who maybe could do a little troubleshooting themselves with some help from the web and you guys, they are going to want to know where is the TCM and what wires do they need to probe with a voltmeter right up front, then maybe move back to the round connector by the trans do do more indepth troubleshooting, so thanks for that help too.

Would it be OK to backprobe the TCM connector with a power probe and give the 12VDC inputs right from the TCM or whatever computer this vehicle uses, to see if the tranny will shift according to transmans chart inputs.  Once again, this would require someone, one of us or the driver, to have a handy wire diagram, but they still need to know the component location, any help with this please.

Offline patooo

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
Thanks a lot guys I didnít read it all yet, but Iíll get cracking tonight. 
RE to SOLENOIDS: both solenoids A and B should be O. K.  They both made sound when my friend checked them. 
WHEN there is REVERSE shifted on, shouldnít both solenoids be ON? (When everything is normally connected?)
If yes, both solenoids are OK because you CAN shift and ride in Reverse.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.