Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2001 TAURUS HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT , HOW BAD OF A JOB  (Read 9149 times)

Offline toolhawk

2001 TAURUS HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT , HOW BAD OF A JOB
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
My 16 year old daughters 2001 Taurus car has no heat!!!!! felt heater hoses 1 is hot and 1 is not ! how rough of a job is this  ? I have done a few in the past were you have to tear a 1/3 of the car apart. this one does not look that bad. Or do I tell her to buy a new winter coat  :ROFL, Thanks for your input !!!!!! Ray

Offline Ford_Dude

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2001 TAURUS HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT , HOW BAD OF A JOB
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »
Tried flushing it ?

Ford_Dude
Section 609 certified

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
Also make sure the heater control valve is working properly. HTH Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline metricwrench

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
  Disconnect the hose at the engine, plug a garden hose on one end to make sure that it can circulate water(may have been plug by a used car lot menic to solve a leaking heater core) The heater core is circulating coolant at all time(temp is controled by air flap). As to pull the heater core, that's major one,(dash has to come out & steering column).
                    good luck    wrench

Offline toolhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »
I will try to back flush tonight !! the heater blend door is opening and closing , as for the heater control valve , are you talking the temp. control knob ? that is working or are you talking something else , Thanks

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:59:23 AM »
On the older Taurus's like the 3.8L, the heater core was part of the engine cooling system and can get hot spots in the head if that core is blocked causing even further head gasket problems.  My kid has a 2000, I never really checked that out, generally the feed for the core is at that thermostat housing, but it's the return of that core that is of concerned, if it returns to the heads or the engine block, would worry about that.

Would have to go back quite a few years for a heater valve, do have one in my 82 Chevy motorhome, and forgot how difficult it was to set these things to an agreeable temperature due to the delay, blend doors are practically instantaneous and that is what you have.

Replacing the heater core starts with recovering the AC system and removing the entire heater box that contains both the heater core and evaporator, let's just say, it's not a five minute job.  Your return hose being cold is definitely telling you that something is wrong, was an electric heater installed, those kind you plug in at night with a prayer your vehicle will start the next morning.  Going back in years on this one, many would install such a heater the wrong way that would kill the heater, but a possibility.

Then there is the question of history, did you just buy this car for your daughter or was it in the family for years, and was the heater ever working?

I take heater core leaks very seriously, antifreeze fumes can damage your kidneys, and those are not very easy to replace.  This happened years ago to my first cousin, was a distance away, but was driving an old beater, a long expensive painful death that also nearly broke my aunt and uncle.

If my daughter were driving that car, wouldn't worry about an overcoat, but would rather put a bomb in that car and blow it away than to take that risk.  Son had a leaker several years back while going to college, money was tight, took me two days to change that sucker, but got it done working late into the night.  Not saying this is your problem, but just offering this as a precaution.

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:04:34 AM »
My 16 year old daughters 2001 Taurus car has no heat!!!!! felt heater hoses 1 is hot and 1 is not ! how rough of a job is this  ? I have done a few in the past were you have to tear a 1/3 of the car apart. this one does not look that bad. Or do I tell her to buy a new winter coat  :ROFL, Thanks for your input !!!!!! Ray

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Will give the flat rate time and the procedure to replace it.

Things to check is.
Make sure full of coolant in rad or overflow tank.

Make sure engine running tempt is 195 or more.
Check The outlet pipe from Thermostat  pipe .
I have found them restricted.

Heater hoses have a heater core bypass set up.
Look at it and.
Try plugging the bypass hose.

Take a hose off of heater core and make sure heater core is getting a good coolant flow.
Run some good rad flush in it and then.
And then flush out and try it.
Also I have reversed heater core hoses to help clean heater core.
Good luck
Crunch
Flush and back flush the coolant system and heater core.
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
Crunch offered some good advice, some vehicles do have a heater core bypass.  Just some more tips, never try to twist off a heater core hose from the nipples, that stress can break the joints to the core and cause even more problems, cut them off and replace the hose.  If worked on before, could be heater hose support brackets were never replaced, seen that more than once.  Those prevent vibrations from again, breaking that joint between the heater core and the nipples.

Never replace spring clamps with those stainless steel screwed in hose clamps, the latter doesn't allow for expansion and will crack plastic nipples that have a high rate of expansion.  I like to coat the nipple with non-hardening Permatex that acts as a lubricant to help slide them on plus providing for a better seal, will even warm the end of the hose with a heat gun, want to avoid any kind of force the way they make vehicles today.

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »
Just had one in the shop this week with a clogged heater core, which was producing no heat.  This model has a heater line assembly with a bypass built into it, and it was corroding from the inside out.  That corrosion is what was clogging the heater core.  We got the heater hose assembly from the Ford dealer (really, just get it there, as it is complete) and were able to backflush the heater core (directly at its connections after the hoses were removed) to clean it out.  Luckily it works great still, and does not leak.  Heat restored, no more crud in the cooling system.  If you're lucky and caught it in time, yours should turn out this well also.
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline toolhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
 fixed BACK FLUSHED IT ALL IS WELL , GREAT HEAT !!!!! FULL OF CRUD , FLUSHED SYSTEM , THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVISE , IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT .

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
Okay, you fixed the symptom, but you better make sure to keep your eye on that system.  If yours was like mine, it's going to do it again, and it probably won't take too long.
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.