Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1999 Dodge caravan oil leak  (Read 2655 times)

Offline butchfig8

1999 Dodge caravan oil leak
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:23:12 AM »
 2.4L  4 cyl  appears to be leaking oil out rear main,  is this common for this eng ??
If the pully end stuff is removed is there enough room the get engine loose leaving the transmisson in place ??
Can Engine come out top or bottom??

Offline Cheef

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
    • Ultimate Soccermom Minivans
Re: 1999 Dodge caravan oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:48 AM »
2.4 rear main seal is replaced by removing transmission and the flywheel. VERY easy trans removal on the 2.4 engine.

Once all is removed, the rear main is looking at you. Two choices: remove the seal and install using the factory instalation tool or remove the seal retainer (fairly easy) and remove old seal and install new seal flush with retainer using a flat pice of wood large enough to cover the seal for its final tapping into place. Insure you prelube the inner lip of seal before installation to prevent burn.

OEM seal is what you want. Accept no subsitutes. About $18 at dealer. It is a one piece, metal clad lip seal.

Cheef
Author, Lecturer, Traveler, Bum
Covert UW Operator, Jungle Fighter
Man Among Men, Seldom Among Women
Legend in My Own Mind
Lustslaker of A604's and Offspring

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »
Make sure it's the rear main seal that is leaking. This engine has a big problem with head gaskets leaking from the right rear corner of the engine(the corner of the engine closest to the driver) also the oil pressure switch is mounted on the right rear of engine and it will also look like a rear main seal leak. Rec you use oil dye and then have it checked with a black light to see where exactly it is leaking before you start taking major components off. HTH Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline Cheef

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:34:34 AM »
Greasemonkey,

The MLS head gasket updates were installed on Model Year 1999 2.4's. Good idea to check but I have not seen an MLS gasket fail. 1996-1998 were the problem children.

My two bits...

Cheef
Legend in My Own Mind

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »
Cheef have done quite a few head gaskets with the new multi steel plate gasket type. They still leak but are a lot better than the old type. Some of these you can retorque the head and see if the bolts where loose. I will usually use copper coat on every one of these type of head gaskets. Have not had a come back yet. But you are correct the updated gasket works a lot better but they can still leak. Anyway it is better to be sure on the leak before you start to remove something like the trans.  HTH Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline Cheef

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:34:25 AM »
Agreed. You can't repair something that isn't broken. Repairing something that isn't broken won't fix what is.

I use the OEM goop in a can "MoPar Spray Gasket Sealer" and thoroughly (drippy) coat and allow to set up before installation. I "finger" same on head and block. As long as the head and block are straight, I clean and do not machine. Small erosions I clean scrupulously and fill with JB Weld, let sit for 24 hours, then carefully scrape until flush. I use the OEM recommended torque sequence and final 90 degree torque to yield. Inshallah...I have had zero comebacks also.

Cheef
Legend in My Own Mind

Offline butchfig8

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:07:48 AM »
 fixed
Rear main seal was not in the block very well,
thanks for your help.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.