Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: car lift advice  (Read 6033 times)

Offline swhite832

car lift advice
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
I am building a shop and have budgeted a car lift that will fit in the center bay.   My research efforts have gotten me nowhere.   Everyone(especially manufactures) have opinions on what lift is best for the money.   This is not a professional shop and will not be used day in day out.   It is for hobby/repair personal vehicles.   Rotary seems to be the standard but expensive compared to others like American pride.   

Does anyone have any facts on why one lift is better, safer, more reliable, etc.  than another lift.

Offline kdauto

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: car lift advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
  A LOT of info is missing. What power is available for the lift. What's the ceiling height? What will you be lifting?What are you intending to do on the lift as far as repair work? What type of floor is in the shop(psi and thickness)? what's the width of the bay you'll be installing it in and finally what's your budget?

Offline swhite832

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
Basically, at this time my choice is this.   A 9000# Rotary spoa9eh2 (asymmetrical plus 2 ft) that is a few years old for $1800.   It was stored outside(not motor) and needs paint.   As far as I know there are no rubber lift pads available for this model.   Or, a brand new 9000# American Pride for $1400 plus freight, that includes truck adapters and rubber lift points.   

Both lifts will fit.   I can accommodate slab thickness, power requirements and minimum bay size.   

Offline kdauto

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
  Well, you didn't answer all my questions. Some are quite important. Nevertheless, I will recommend a decent lift in your price range. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-PV-10-p/tppro-pv10.htm

I've dealt with them and they're good people.  This lift is the same as Rotary sells under their import line, so it's tested and certified. A few lift salesman(their competition) have seen them and installed some and say they're pretty decent and robust. HTH

Offline swhite832

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the referral.   I bought a new Atlas 9 this morning for 2k with a 5 year structural (3 yr.  motor)warranty and all the support I could need by a company owned and overseen by Dover.   The same company which owns Rotary.   I am happy that this is not a used and possibly abused lift that comes with zero customer support.   Again thanks for the refferal.

sTw 

Offline steeruright

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »
You are one of the better shoppers.   Lifts are like tires and brakes on a car. . . don't go cheapest.
Used lifts are O. K.  if checked out.   Rotary, Challenger better of the many out there.   Go to
www. evtsr. com this guy has contacts everywhere and great prices!
Keep me posted.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.