Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 96 Blazer cold stalling problem  (Read 895 times)

Offline Drew99GT

96 Blazer cold stalling problem
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »
Hello, I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer that stalls in cold weather the minute the engine sees a load.  It cranks and fires fine (has a brand new battery) and idles fine, will rev fine if you give it gas in park, but as soon as you shift to drive it sputters and will stall if you try and give it gas.  Once I let it warm up for a minute and gently give it some revs, it will still sputter a bit but will finally drive away without stalling; once up to temp, it runs fine.  It acts exactly like an old carburated engine with no choke or a malfunctioning choke, like it's not getting enough fuel.

Any thoughts as to what it might be?  It has one of those K&N intake kits; I recently cleaned and re-oiled the filter, taking extra care not to overoil.  Could gum on the MAF sensor cause this problem?

Thanks

Offline Paul

• BAT Admin
  • wrench
  • I'm The Decider
Re: 96 Blazer cold stalling problem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
Its possible the K&N setup is the problem,but those engines were prone for internal(Inside the intake) fuel leaks,either from the fuel psi regulator,the fuel meter body and or the small plastic fuel lines.Get a read on the fuel psi,while the engine is running and when it is turned off.Once the engine is off,the fuel psi should hold for some time.If it bleeds off quickly or fails to hold psi then you have a fuel leak.Do you ever notice any black exhaust when the problem occurs?

The image shows what the fuel meter body,injectors,fuel lines etc look like...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:54:03 AM by Paul »
Want A Donkeys Attention Bring A Pole Down Between It's Ears

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.