Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: ECM - What Year Introduced In GM?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline RickyBubbles

• Sponsoring Member
ECM - What Year Introduced In GM?
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:23:05 AM »
Wondering what year GM started putting the computer control (ECM) in full size Oldsmobiles (307 4BBL)?  Anybody remember back that far?

Offline jjm

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: ECM - What Year Introduced In GM?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:43:02 AM »
1981 for the 307Y Oldsmobile engine - it was the first full model year for CCC (Computer Command Control).

Other GM vehicles used ECM's before 1981.  Cadillac had EFI and hence an ECM beginning in 1975 on the 500 and 350 engines, among others.

Joe

If you found this information helpful, please support BATAuto!

Offline RickyBubbles

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »
thanks jjm!!  RB :thx

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »
1980 was the first big year for PCM controlled systems
GM 1980 mid year or 80 1/2 were the first ones you could test or read with a scan tool.
I worked on  a  1979  Pontiac  Phoneix that had a hidden sealed no testable pcm.
Beside the old Cad. 4-6-8 system that is the first one I ran into.
Crunch
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:01:27 PM by crunch »
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline RickyBubbles

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »
thanks crunch...how are these older CCC, ECM, PCM units holding up in well maintained vehicles from the early 80's...and how hard is it to find a replacement, if it becomes necessary?  Costly?  Thanks again!! RB :thx :thx

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »
There track record is not to good.
A lot of circuit board problems.

The also had a thousand prom updates to.
The old tap\twist test  and battery disconnect confirms a lot of problems.

Good news is you can get a rebuilt one in the 100 $ range.

I had one one time that made the engine knock and sound like the engine was shot.
Almost cost another engine. :)
 I was ready to replace it.

Done the old battery disconnect and start it back up for some reason and the engine was perfect. ???
It ran that way for a year with a few battery disconnects ever time the engine sounded like it was a dead duck.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:45:39 PM by crunch »
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline RickyBubbles

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:45:39 PM »
thanks a bunch crunch :thx RB

Offline jjm

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:52 PM »
Actually Crunch, only certain 1980 California vehicles had CCC, 1981 was the first full model year for CCC on virtually all GM vehicles. 

As for that '79 Pontiac Phoenix, let me guess... the 151 inline 4 VIN 1 motor, right?  That was EFC (Electronic Fuel Control) and was the first of GM feedback carburetors, using a Holley 6510-C.  It first appeared on 1978 California vehicles, and then 1979.  I believe it was only used on this engine. And yes, no diagnostics - just like with EFI systems before them - those were real hair pullers.

Then came the C-4 (Computer Controlled Catalytic Converter) system in 1979 (to 1980) which was more friendly than EFC.  Many of the C-4 and CCC codes were identical (CCC was expanded). C-4 was used on a variety of vehicles, the 151, 173, 231, 260, 350, and maybe others.

The 1980 Olds Cutlass with the 260 V-8, ironically, had a "hybrid" C-4 AND CCC system mix.

And let's not forget the 1978-1979 Olds Toronado Electronic Spark Timing system on the 403 V-8... this thing had a coolant sensor, vacuum and barometric sensors (and how many of these systems had the barometric line incorrectly connected to vacuum and vice versa?)  Ever deal with the dreaded "CHECK IGNITION" light on those things?  Setting the timing was a riot... grounding the purple reference connector at the module under the glove box and adjusting the crank sensor underneath the damn PS pump.  And it was too easy to send the expensive crank sensor into the crank disc - way too adjustable.  No start conditions on these vehicles were always fun.

Also just a quick side note on the V-8-6-4 Caddy 368 (6.0) motor, that was 1981 also, but DFI actually came out in 1980, virtually same 368 engine except without the modulated displacement.

Joe

If you found this information helpful, please support BATAuto!

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.