Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2004 Honda Accord, LXI - Starter Problems  (Read 4939 times)

Offline calbanese

Re: 2004 Honda Accord, LXI - Starter Problems
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »
All

It was definitely the starter.  The starter was working than began degrading, starting intermittently.  I had a total fail and could not get the engine to crank. 

I replaced the starter and it cranked right away and so far, I have no indication of any problems.  I'll give it some time and monitor over the next week or so.

---  To get to the starter, YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE INTAKE.  Even if you can get an extension with a socket behind the intake, you won't be able to pull the starter out.  Its a matter of removing the air cleaner, disconnecting vacuum lines, disconnecting the wiring harness to the sensors/plugs, and removing the front of the intake (intake is in 2 pieces).  Once out of the way, the starter is easy to get to.  You do not have to drain the coolant. 

Just wanted to provide some information since a few of you were curious.  I definitely learned something about the newer Honda's.  The older Honda's, pre 2000, are a piece of cake to work on.

r/

Cliff

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Well, glad you had fun, that's the important thing!  Were the pictures Jim F. posted in reply #4 not for your car, or do they show it with all that intake stuff already removed?

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »
Apparently, "they show it with all that intake stuff already removed". Looks like the same design as the Element I've seen.

Offline calbanese

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Exactly, the pictures already have the intake removed.  Still, it was easy to remove.  The intake comes in 2 pieces; the main piece is attached to the head, the outer piece is held on by 2 nuts and 3 bolts.  About 2 hours worth of work.  Take care.

r/
Cliff

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Looks like we ALL learned something here.
Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.

Evan in Lafayette

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
I have the same problem on my 2004 Accord LX 4cyl.  I finally tapped on the solenoid with a piece of rebar and the starter engaged and car started.  I will put up with it for a bit, but will be replacing the solenoid.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
It might not be the solenoid, could also be worn brushes in the starter.  Do you know how to do electrical test to tell the difference?  If you intend to replace the whole starter "assembly", the starter motor with solenoid included and attached, then it doesn't really matter...

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
Bill:   He already replaced it.  See #15.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Yeah, but that was in 2012, almost two years ago...

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
Bill:  Sorry. I didn't notice that it was a new guest and a very old fix for the first guy.

Evan:  I agree with Bill's statement-- starter brushes or solenoid.  Higher chance of it being brushes than solenoid, but can be either.

And as Bill asked you, " Do you know how to do electrical test to tell the difference? "
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:47:09 AM by JackC »

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
Ha, and I didn't notice that it wasn't the OP asking; probably a completely different vehicle!

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »
Ha, the last Bendix starter I recalled seeing was on my 1946 Ford 2N tractor, that could be replaced for a couple of bucks.  Last starter I was able to rebuild was on my 82 454 engine.  Super thick commutators, cast iron case, have a diamond tipped tool bit and an undercutter, would be like new again.  Practically all are solenoid driven starter drives with rusty linkage and using copper foil for commutators, nothing left to machine.  And the cases are made of thin sheet metal that can rust through.

Could help explain why over 5000 rebuilders went out of business in the last 20 years.  Never talked about recycling back then, didn't have to.  With new bushings, brushes, cleaning, grease, some paint, an old starter could be made like new again.  Now, all throwaway.  Just required a couple bucks for parts, today, $$$$$$.

Its also very to install a starter before the motor mounts are added and the engine is dropped in.  But not quite so easy to replace one.  They call this progress. 

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.